• Now – February 11th: Tickets are on sale now for New Horizon Theatre’s production of “No Body Like Jimmy”. This slapstick, comedic show runs February 11th – 13th at 8pm ET with a Saturday matinee at 2 pm ET. Visit www.nhct.org to purchase your tickets today!
• February 12th: A VALENTINE DANCE will be held on Friday at the LaFayette Christian School Gym, 1904 Hamilton Road in LaGrange from 8:00 – 10:15 p.m., hosted by the Moonlight Ballroom Dance Club of LaGrange. Visitor couples are welcome – $20 per couple. Attire: Dressy or cocktail/ (coat & tie). Come enjoy slow dancing, swing, waltz, cha-cha, tango, samba, polka, Western two step, electric slide and more! (For more information on this dance or local dance lessons, call 706-881-2734. Ballroom dance lessons would make a great Valentine’s gift!!)
• Now – February 12th: Georgia NAACP Founder’s Day membership campaign is held through Friday. In celebration of the 107th Founder’s Day, the GA NAACP is launching a coordinated membership Recruitment Drive entitled “Towards a Just Society”. This is an all-out effort to maximize the membership capacity of our units over a 12-day period to expand our reach in GA. The prizes will be awarded to the Adult Branch and Youth Unit (Youth Council/College Chapter) who generates the most new memberships. All copies of membership forms and checks along with any special photos of your recruitment efforts must be submitted electronically to the State Office to firstname.lastname@example.org or by faxing to 404-577-4593 by Monday, March 2 to be eligible. No exceptions.
• February 14th: Taste of Storytelling! Barry Stewart Mann and local tellers will delight you with their stories on February 14 at 2:00 PM. Sponsored by LSPAAzalea Storytelling Festival and Friends of LaGrange Memorial Library. LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford Street, LaGrange, GA, 30240, www.thrl.org
• February 16th: Environmental Update! Sierra Club lobbyist Neill Herring and Sierra club state legislative chair mark Woodall will give us an update on what’s happening in the gold dome during the 2016 session and how we can help our environment stay healthy on Tuesday, February 16 from 7-8 pm: Refreshments served 6:30 until program; Location St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on 207 Greenwood St. LaGrange 30240.
• February 16th: Author Talk: Michael Bishop at 6:30 PM. Michael Bishop, Science Fiction Author and Poet. Born in Lincoln, Nebraska, Mike graduated from the University of Georgia, with Phi Beta Kappa honors, and taught English at the Air Force Academy Preparatory School in Colorado Springs from 1968 to 1972, and later at the University of Georgia. During his distinguished career, Mike was the twice winner of the prestigious Nebula Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America for best novel [“No Enemy But Time”] and the best novella [“The Quickening”]. He was also awarded Locus Awards for Best Novelette [“The Samurai and the Willows”], Anthology [“Light Years and Dark”], and Fantasy Novel [“Brittle Innings”]; He accrued the Science Fiction ChronicleAward for Best Novella [“Her Habiline Husband”] and Best Novel [“Brittle Innings”]. Most recently, he received the Southeastern Science Fiction Achievement Award for Best Short Fiction [“The Door Gunner”] of 2003 and the Shirley Jackson Award for Best Short Story [“The Pile”] of 2008. His other acclaimed novels include “A Funeral for the Eyes of Fire,” “Transfigurations,” “Stolen Faces” and “Ancient of Days.” Mike served as Writer-in-Residence at LaGrange College from 1996-2012. Sponsored by Friends of the LaGrange Memorial, 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240, www.thrl.org
• February 17th: Capital Conservation Day! Be an activist at the gold dome! Join hundreds of other conservationists who will be lobbying for clean air and water on Wednesday February 17. Contact Laura Breyfogle to find out more information and/or carpool.
• February 17th: Join us for storytelling, songs, and crafts at Hogansville Public Library 600 E. Main Street, Hogansville, GA, 30230, at 10:30 am. www.thrl.org
• February 17th: Join us for storytelling, songs, and crafts at LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford Street, LaGrange, GA, 30240, at 10:30. www.thrl.org
• February 19th 10 am-noon at Ethel Kight Elementary School- Get “down to earth” on Georgia Arbor Day weekend. Bring a shovel and gloves, if you have them. If you don’t, we’ll have a few extras. We will plant dogwood and pine seedlings as well as 3 specimen trees to help beautify Ethel Kight’s new school site. Refreshments provided!
• February 19th: Little Ones Art Class. Some moms in our community will help younger children (grades pre-K to 1st) create simple art projects to take home on February 19 at 3:30 pm. The class is limited to 20 participants, so sign up today at the library! LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240. www.thrl.org
• February 20th 10 am-noon at Granger Park Tennis Courts:
Here’s another Arbor Day weekend opportunity to create a tree screen at Granger Park- LaGrange’s most used green space. Bring a shovel and gloves, if you have them. If you don’t, we’ll have a few extras. Refreshments provided!
• February 20th 1-3 pm at LaGrange Memorial Library:
Last chance for Arbor Day projects- we will spruce up the grounds. Bring loppers, clippers and gloves if you have them. We’ll have a few to share. Refreshments provided!
• Every Wednesday: Preschool Story Time at LaGrange Memorial Library at 10:30 a.m. Enjoy stories, fingerplays, songs and a craft.
• Every Thursday: Kiwanis Club meets every Thursday at noon at the Highland Country Club. We would love for anyone to come out and see what we are all about.
• Every Thursday: Beginner Ballroom Dance Lessons at the Active Life Center, 140 Ragland Street at 7:00pm. $80/Couple for 8 weeks. Call for more information 706-881-2734.
• Every Thursday: Bellevue Contract Bridge Game- Games will be open to the public each Thursday at Bellevue- LaGrange’s historic antebellum home. The building will open at 5:30 p.m. and play will begin promptly at 6:00 p.m. Players must attend in pairs and cost is $10 per person, per month. Call 706-8829655 for information and to sign up. Proceeds go towards the preservation of Bellevue.
• Every Thursday and Sunday: LaGrange Street Hockey League with Troup County Park and Recreation – Meet from 5:30 p.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Sunday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Looking for players to increase the size of the league and for sponsors to help with the equipment costs. For more information, contact Glenn Cunningham at 706-298-0759 or glenn.cunningham@ diversepower.com.