• February 16th: Environmental Update! Sierra Club lobbyist Neill Herring and Sierra club state legislative chair mark Woodall will give us an update on what’s happening in the gold dome during the 2016 session and how we can help our environment stay healthy on Tuesday, February 16 from 7-8 pm: Refreshments served 6:30 until program; Location St. Mark’s Episcopal Church on 207 Greenwood St. LaGrange 30240.
• February 16th: Author Talk: Michael Bishop at 6:30 PM. Michael Bishop, Science Fiction Author and Poet. Born in Lincoln, Nebraska, Mike graduated from the University of Georgia, with Phi Beta Kappa honors, and taught English at the Air Force Academy Preparatory School in Colorado Springs from 1968 to 1972, and later at the University of Georgia. During his distinguished career, Mike was the twice winner of the prestigious Nebula Award from the Science Fiction Writers of America for best novel [“No Enemy But Time”] and the best novella [“The Quickening”]. He was also awarded Locus Awards for Best Novelette [“The Samurai and the Willows”], Anthology [“Light Years and Dark”], and Fantasy Novel [“Brittle Innings”]; He accrued the Science Fiction Chronicle Award for Best Novella [“Her Habiline Husband”] and Best Novel [“Brittle Innings”]. Most recently, he received the Southeastern Science Fiction Achievement Award for Best Short Fiction [“The Door Gunner”] of 2003 and the Shirley JacksonAward for Best Short Story [“The Pile”] of 2008. His other acclaimed novels include “AFuneral for the Eyes of Fire,” “Transfigurations,” “Stolen Faces” and “Ancient of Days.” Mike served as Writer-in-Residence at LaGrange College from 19962012. Sponsored by Friends of the LaGrange Memorial, 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240, www.thrl.org
• February 17th: Capital Conservation Day! Be an activist at the gold dome! Join hundreds of other conservationists who will be lobbying for clean air and water on Wednesday February 17. Contact Laura Breyfogle to find out more information and/or carpool.
• February 17th: Join us for storytelling, songs, and crafts at Hogansville Public Library 600 E. Main Street, Hogansville, GA, 30230, at 10:30 am. www.thrl.org
• February 17th: Join us for storytelling, songs, and crafts at LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford Street, LaGrange, GA, 30240, at 10:30. www.thrl.org
• February 19th 10 am-noon at Ethel Kight Elementary School- Get “down to earth” on Georgia Arbor Day weekend. Bring a shovel and gloves, if you have them. If you don’t, we’ll have a few extras. We will plant dogwood and pine seedlings as well as 3 specimen trees to help beautify Ethel Kight’s new school site. Refreshments provided!
• February 19th: Little Ones Art Class. Some moms in our community will help younger children (grades pre-K to 1st) create simple art projects to take home on February 19 at 3:30 pm. The class is limited to 20 participants, so sign up today at the library! LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240. www.thrl.org
• February 20th 10 am-noon at Granger Park Tennis Courts: Here’s another Arbor Day weekend opportunity to create a tree screen at Granger Park- LaGrange’s most used green space. Bring a shovel and gloves, if you have them. If you don’t, we’ll have a few extras. Refreshments provided!
• February 20th 1-3 pm at LaGrange Memorial Library:
Last chance for Arbor Day projects- we will spruce up the grounds. Bring loppers, clippers and gloves if you have them. We’ll have a few to share. Refreshments provided!
• February 20th: Chess Club! Join us to play or learn chess at LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford Street, LaGrange, GA, 30240 at 1:00 pm. www.thrl.org
• Every Monday: Al-Anon-7:00 p.m. at Dallas-Dodd Presbyterian Church, 1244 Wares Cross Road, LaGrange.
• Every Tuesday: The LaGrange Shufflers Square Dance Club meets from 7:30 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. at the Troup County Senior’s Active Life Center, 140 Ragland Street. Visitors are encouraged to attend and view the square dancing with caller Bill Jones.
• Every Tuesday: Overeaters Anonymous (OA) – 7:00 p.m. at First Baptist on the Square, 117 Church Street, La-Grange, Room 108. For additional information, please call 706-884-9925.