Police & Sheriff’s Reports
The individuals listed have been cited/arrested/charged in Troup County. However, this is not an admission of guilt. All parties are considered innocent until proved guilty.
• Sunday afternoon about 4:22 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the Walmart on New Franklin Road in reference to Shoplifting.
Police arrived and spoke to the store’s Loss Prevention officer, who advised a male had just stolen a cell phone charger, valued at $29.88, and fled the scene when confronted by employees.
The Loss Prevention Officer advised the male selected the charger and began grocery shopping. While shopping, the male removed the charger from its package and concealed it. Employees then attempted to stop the male at the exit door to the garden center, but he fled on foot and abandoned his groceries.
Police were able to review security video of the incident, which showed the male getting out of a black in Nissan Titan prior to the alleged theft. Police were then able to identify the suspect as Darrell Thomas, who the Loss Prevention Officer confirmed to be the suspected shoplifter.
Investigating officers were later able to make contact with Thomas via telephone and he advised he was at the LaGrange Police Department to turn himself in for the theft.
Thomas stated he ran due to being scared and threw the phone charger in the woods. A criminal history check later revealed Thomas had no prior convictions for Shoplifting.
As a result, Thomas, age 41, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with Theft by Shoplifting – Less than $500. Thomas was later released from the Troup County Jail on bond.
• Sunday morning about 10:50 a.m., LaGrange Police responded to the 300 block of Butler Street in reference a Residential Burglary.
Police arrived and spoke to the victim, who stated sometime between 7 p.m. the previous night and 9 a.m., unknown person(s) forced their way into his home through the front door and stole items.
Missing from the residence were two Zenneth 46 inch flat screen TVs, valued at $400 each, and $6,000 worth of assorted jewelry.
The victim advised the suspects also took $1,500 in cash he had hidden in a dresser drawer and $300 worth of change kept near his bed.
Police observed damage to the front door where it did appear someone forced their way in through the door. Officers process the location for fingerprints and canvassed the area for any potential witnesses, but nearby residents stated they had not seen anything suspicious in the area nor anyone around the victim’s residence.
This incident is still under investigation.
• Early Sunday morning about 4:09 a.m., LaGrange Police responded to the 100 block of Marshall Street in response to a domestic disturbance.
Upon their arrival, officers heard several voices yelling loudly from the location, with an angry male voice making threats and several female voices that appeared to be attempting to calm the male down.
Police quickly ran up to the front porch and observed the male, later identified as Christopher Neal Brooks, standing inside the residence just inside the left side of the front door. Brooks was standing in a combative posture, and appeared to be very agitated and angry.
Officers ordered Brooks to the floor and he complied, but continued to yell, swear, and make threatening comments toward his wife and police.
Police asked the wife what was going on and Brooks began saying he head butted his wife in the face on purpose and he had struck her multiple times with his hands and fists.
Brooks was then advised that he was under arrest and was told to stand up. Brooks stood up and placed his hands behind his back. Officers then attempted to place him in hand cuffs, but before they could do so, he allegedly attempted to pull away and then became physically and verbally combative.
Officers then took Brooks into custody by force.
Brooks, age 33, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with Battery – Family Violence act and Second Degree Cruelty to Children.
Brooks is currently being held at the Troup County Jail under $15,000 bond.
• Friday night about 8:19 p.m., LaGrange Police were patrolling the 1000 block of Houston Street when officers noticed a strong odor of burning marijuana as they passed beside two people in a front yard.
As they stopped to investigate the drug odor, another male, later identified as Cederick Slaton, got out of a vehicle parked in front of the residence. Slaton then turned around and laid down on the ground and said, ‘y’all got me’ appearing to give up and surrender.
Since officers were investigating an obvious odor of marijuana, they took this as somewhat of a confessions and went ahead and detained him. It was quickly determined Slaton had surrendered because he had a warrant through Troup County.
Police then searched the car Slaton had been sitting in due to the odor of marijuana coming from inside and they found a small amount of loose marijuana in the seat and two small smoked marijuana joints in the ash tray.
As a result, Slaton, age 36, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with Possession of Marijuana Less than an Ounce and a warrant for Probation Violation.
Slaton is currently being held at the Troup County Jail on bond.
• Jennifer Alicia Long, age 29, of Columbus, GA was arrested by West Point Police on a warrant for Probation Violation.
• West Point Police responded to an incident of Criminal Trespass and Felony Theft by Taking which were reported in the area of Fourth Avenue.
• West Point Police responded to a First Degree Burglary (Felony) which occurred in the area of East Eighth Street.
• Ricardo Rodigus Williams, age 21, of West Point was arrested by West Point Police for Burglary.
• Jalen Cummings, age 22, of College Park, GA was arrested by West Point Police for Possession of a Schedule I Controlled Substance.
• Pamela Patrice Staples, age 30, of Opelika, AL was arrested for by West Point Police for Driving with a Suspended License.
• Temora Umia Howell, age 41, of West Point was by West Point Police for arrested for Driving Unlicensed.