Police & Sheriff’s Reports
The individuals listed have been cited/arrested/charged in Troup County. However, this is not an admission of guilt. All parties are considered innocent until proved guilty.
• On December 4 at 2:55 am, Officers responded to the 200 block of Cooley Road to assist with processing the crime scene of an alleged robbery. Consent was given to search the residence and upon entry into the bedroom where the crime occurred, Jonathan Davis was located on the bed.
Officers were familiar with Davis having an active warrant for Probation Violation through Troup County Sheriff’s Office. Upon searching Davis to arrest, officers located a clear glass vase used for smoking meth in his left front shirt pocket. Davis stated he had smoked meth earlier last date.
Davis, age 33, was arrested, taken to the Troup County Jail and charged with Possession of Meth.
• On Sunday, December 4 at 3:36 pm, Officers responded in a non-emergency manner to the 800 block of New Franklin Road (Wal-Mart) in reference to a shoplifter in custody. Upon arrival, officers spoke with the Asset Protection employee and he advised officers that since November 17 of this year he has been watching on video and observing an employee of Wal-Mart conceal items either in her purse or a bag. The employee would leave the store without purchasing the items.
The female, later identified as Destiny Phillips, was observed on six separate work days concealing numerous items and removing them from the store without making a purchase. Employees were able to provide officers with receipts for each day that items were taken. All in all, over 70 items were stolen with a total price of over $560.
Phillips, age 33, was arrested, taken to the Troup County Jail and charged with Theft by Taking.
• On December 5 at around 4:52 pm, Officers responded to Jabley’s Liquors in Grantville, in reference to a fight that occurred in Troup County. Upon Officers arrival, they met with a victim who stated that her and her boyfriend, Chris Merrell, had been arguing because the power at her residence was off and she needed power on due to her child being on a breathing machine. Merrell refused to fix the generator and left.
The victim stated that she packed up some belongings of Merrell and took them to his place and when she arrived she asked Merrell where did he want her to put his stuff. The victim stated that Merrell then got up in her face yelling and putting the brim of his hat against her forehead. The victim stated when Merrell did that she felt threatened and slapped Merrell several times in the face.
Merrell then picked the victim up and slammed her on her head and back to the ground causing injury to the back of her head.
After speaking to both parties and both parties having stated the same thing, Merrell, age 33, was charged with Battery. Merrell did advise that he was sorry about the situation and turned himself in at the Troup County Sheriff’s Office.
• On December 6, officers responded to the 400 block of Jim Turner Road in regards to an unwanted female subject at that location. On arrival, officers met with the victim who stated that his ex-wife Christina Swartz, who doesn’t live at the location, came by the residence banging on the front door yelling for him to let her inside so she could change clothes. The victim did allow her to come inside to change clothes then immediately asked her to leave the residence since she was in an obvious intoxicated condition. Christina left the residence and started walking down Jim Turner Road towards Kia Boulevard. The victim further mentioned that they have been divorced for quite some time now and that Christina stays at the Stay Lodge in LaGrange, but someone brought her to the residence and then dropped her off and left location. While speaking to the victim, officers did recall that a few months ago, they also responded to the same location regarding the same type of incident where Christina was yelling and banging on the front door in an intoxicated condition asking to come inside in which the victim refused to let her in.
The victim stated that on this date Christina had left walking down Jim Turner Road and was in an intoxicated condition after showing up wanting to change clothes. Deputies did locate Christina on Jim Turner Road and transported her back to the residence.
Christina stated that she came by the residence to change clothes and then when she was asked to leave the residence she left walking, but also took some mail out from the victim’s mailbox that was addressed to the victim and took it with her which was located in her purse out of spite according to Christina. The mail was returned to the victim. Swartz, age 36, was arrested, taken to the Troup County Jail and charged with Public Drunkenness.
• On December 5 at 4:52 pm, Officers responded to the 1400 block of Juniper Street in reference to a burglary in progress. Upon officers arrival, they made contact with the victim, who is a resident of the home.
The victim stated she came home from work after leaving that morning and as soon as she walked in the house, she could see something was not right because her television that was located in the living room was pulled away from the wall. The victim stated that as she moved into the kitchen area, she immediately noticed that her backdoor was open. The victim stated that she could also see footprints which prompted her to step outside of the residence in fear that someone was still inside.
Once the scene was deemed clear, officers prompted the victim to enter the home to note what was stolen. The items taken included a flat screen TV and a power AMP.
No arrests have been made at this time, but this case is still under investigation.
• William Toll, of West Point, was arrested for Obstructing or Hindering an officer. Toll was transported to the Troup County Jail without further incident.
• West Point Police reported a Criminal Trespass incident in the area of 7000 block Kia Pkwy.
• West Point Police reported a Terroristic Threats incident in the area of Abbey Glen Lane.
• West Point Police received a report filed for Criminal Damage to Property in the area of 600 block Martin Luther King Drive.
• West Point Police received a report filed for Criminal Trespass in the area of 80 Georgian Terrace.
• West Point Police received a report filed for Criminal Trespass in the area of 400 block East 11th Street.
• Anthony Bailey, Jr., of Lanett, was arrested by West Point Police for pedestrian must not stand in the roadway to solicit a ride, employment, business, or solicit contributions from the occupant of any vehicle.
• Sangin Kim, of Opelika, was arrested by West Point Police for DUI.