Wednesday, March 29th

Police & Sheriff’s Reports

The individuals listed have been cited/arrested/charged in Troup County. However, this is not an admission of guilt. All parties are considered innocent until proved guilty.

• Friday afternoon about 12:10 p.m., officers took a walk-in report at the LaGrange Police Department in reference to a walk-in report.

Police spoke to the complainant who stated that he recently noticed money missing out of his checking account.

The victim stated he later discovered unknown person(s) used his debit card information to make a purchase at the Walmart on New Franklin Road in the amount of $348.75 on March 18.

The victim advised the card had been in his possession the entire time and no one should know his Debit card number.

This incident is still under investigation

• Friday afternoon about 4:09 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to North Street in reference to a Burglary.

Police arrived and made contact with the complainant, who stated she was last at the residence around 1:30 p.m. on her lunch break and the residence was in order and everything seemed to be accounted for. She stated that when her son got home from school at about 4 p.m., he noticed his Play Station 4 video game system was missing.

Only the console itself was taken and the suspects left the chords used to connect the video game system along with several other items of value in the room where it was stolen.

The game system was valued at $510.

Police processed the residence for fingerprints and canvassed the area for any potential witnesses, but no one reported seeing anything unusual.

This incident is still under investigation.

• Friday evening about 5:56 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the 1200 block of Troup Street in reference to damage to property.

Police arrived and spoke to the complainant, who showed officers a hole in the door of his mother’s room which appeared to be from a shotgun blast.

Officers say that there was apparently no shotgun in the house nor were there any shotgun shells left behind. There also didn’t appear to be any signs of forced entry into the residence at all.

The complainant stated he was only gone from the residence for about 15 minutes and returned home to find the hole in the bedroom door.

It was undetermined how the hole came to be there and by what means. The damage to the door was estimated at about $50.

This incident is still under investigation.

• Friday night about 9:27 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the McDonald’s on Vernon Road in reference to counterfeit money.

Officers arrived and spoke to a female employee and the manager regarding the incident. The manager stated the employee had served a customer, who paid with a $10 bill that was later discovered to be counterfeit after he left the business.

The customer who passed the fraudulent bill was described as a black male with a joker tattoo on his upper right arm with the letters “AD” above the joker.

Police attempted to review security video of the incident and this incident remains under investigation.

• Saturday night just after midnight, LaGrange Police responded to the 300 block of Boulevard Street in reference to a fight in progress.

Officers arrived and located the suspect, Jonathan Ford Ellis, lying in the driveway of a nearby house. As police approached Ellis, he was observed to have a strong odor of alcohol and heavy swelling all over his face. Police say that Ellis had several cuts, scratches, and blood all over his head, so paramedics were called to the scene.

Police later learned that Ellis mistook the residence to be his home and attempted to force his way into the residence, which started the fight.

Officers spoke to the resident, who stated she heard knocking on the door and answered the door to find Ellis. Not knowing him, she attempted to close the door, but Ellis put his foot in the door. A male subject who was staying the night at the residence then came to the door and attempted to talk to Ellis to figure out why he was attempting to enter the residence, which resulted in Ellis punching him in the face. The female stated the two then began to fight in the neighbor’s yard.

The male subject had injuries to his knee and forearm, and a small cut to the top of his head, but he refused medical attention and stated he did not wish to press charges against Ellis due to believing he had just made a drunken mistake.

Ellis was then taken to the Wellstar West Georgia Medical Center to receive treatment for his injuries while being detained for investigatory purposes.

Police later spoke to Ellis at the hospital and he initially advised that he was not sure of what happened. When asked if he had blacked out due to his alcohol consumption, he said that was very possible.

Ellis then went on to claim that he had been held at the residence after he apologized for knocking on the wrong door, and claimed that the other male had tortured him. Ellis stated that he did not punch the other male first. He also claimed there was no girl at the house when officers advised him of the female resident’s contradictory statement.

Police say that Ellis later changed his story to claim that his injuries were inflicted by officers at the scene. Ellis was unsure of which officer had done so, and was unable to describe the officer in any way. Police advised Ellis that if he believed this to be true he could file a formal complaint and have the responding officer’s investigated.

Police noted that the entire time Ellis was saying this he was slurring his words, stumbling as he walked, his eyes were glazed over, and she reeked of alcohol.

After Ellis was cleared by the hospital, he was placed under arrest for Disorderly Conduct, Criminal Trespass, and a warrant for Failure to Appear.

Ellis, age 33, was then transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail and charged with the aforementioned charges.