Monday, May 1st
• Now – May 8th: Public Notice! Main Street from East Depot Street to Frank Tigner Street will be closed to through traffic beginning Monday, April 24, 2017 for approximately two weeks. A detour route will be available and posted with signage to help avoid the work zone area. Questions concerning this work may be directed to David E. Brown, Director of Public Services at 883-2010 or Chris Prather, Street Manager at 883-2100.
• Now – May 15th: CASA of Troup County, Inc. (Court Appointed Special Advocates) is in need of community volunteers. Volunteers will be screened and trained to advocate for the best interest of abused and neglected children involved in dependency proceedings while they are in foster care. Training classes will be May 15, 17, 22, 25, and 30 from 5:30 pm to 8 pm. The trainings will be held at the CASA office at 118 Ridley Avenue. Please contact Katrina Self, Executive Director, at 706-298-3629 or [email protected] for more information. You may also visit their website at www.casatroupheard.org and like them on facebook, www.facebook.com/casatroupcounty.
• May 1st: Summer Reading Program Registration Begins! Registration for our Summer Reading Program begins May 1st. You can stop by your library and register or do it online, then pick up a reading log next time you are at the library. Watch for more information about the the special guests we will be having every Wednesday this summer. We kick off the summer with Minds Under Construction presented by Carol Cain on June 7 – 10:30 am at Harris County Library; 1:30 pm at LaGrange Memorial Library; and 3:30 pm at Hogansville Public Library.
• May 1st at 5:00 PM: Manga/Anime Club! A fun group for fans of anime and manga to come together, get the news on what’s happening in the anime world, be exposed to various new titles and genres, and make new friends in the process! We are always excited to welcome new members as we strive to make our club the best it can be. LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240.
• May 2nd: Lunch and Learn Series! Join the Troup County Master Gardeners on a Free Horicultural Adventure on May 2 with Container Gardens. Every first Tuesday of every month. Bring your own lunch, 12 – 1 pm at the LaGrange Memorial Library, 115 Alford Street, LaGrange. For more information call 706-882-7784.
• May 2nd at 12:00 PM: Lunch & Learn Horticultural Series! Join the Troup County Master Gardener Extension Volunteers on a horticultural adventure! This month: Container Gardens. Bring your own lunch. LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240.
• May 3 at 10:30 AM: Story Time! Children gather weekly at the library to hear stories, sing songs, and make a craft. LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240.
• May 3 at 10:30 AM: Discover! Children gather weekly at the library to hear stories, sing songs, and make a craft. For Children 5 and under. Hogansville Public Library 310 Johnson St., Hogansville, GA, 30230.
• May 4th: A National Day of Prayer Service will be held from 12:15 pm-12:45 pm, May 4th, at the Biblical History Center, 130 Gordon Commercial Drive. Admission to the Center is free for this service. Community members will lead prayers for government, media, education, church and family. Mr. Steve Cole will serve as emcee. For more information about the National Day of Prayer, see www.nationaldayofprayer.org
• May 4th: National Star Wars Day! Make a light saber and celebrate National Star Wars Day. Hogansville Public Library 310 Johnson St., Hogansville, GA, 30230.
• May 5th from 2:00 – 5:00 PM: Bookshop Open! The Friends of LaGrange Memorial Library will be selling used books. Stop by and find a deal! LaGrange Memorial Library 115 Alford St, LaGrange, GA, 30240.
• May 5th: Officials from the Atlanta Falcons, Atlanta Hawks, Detroit Pistons and the NCAA will be at LaGrange College from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m.May 5 in the Bailey Room in Smith Hall for a symposium on how to get into the sports industry. Scheduled to appear are Chris Howard, director of football compliance for the NCAA; Aaron Johnson, marketing coordinator for the Detroit Pistons; Warren Parr, director of sales for the Atlanta Falcons; and Joe Rickert and Angela Spence, senior consultants for premium group memberships for the Atlanta Hawks. The event is free and open to the public. For more information, contact Dr. Preston James IV at [email protected]