Police & Sheriff’s Reports
The individuals listed have been cited/arrested/charged in Troup County. However, this is not an admission of guilt. All parties are considered innocent until proved guilty.
• Wednesday afternoon about 4:22 p.m., LaGrange Police responded to the Publix on Commerce Avenue in reference to Shoplifting.
Officers arrived and spoke to management, who advised a male, later identified as Anthony Bernard Lucas, was shoplifting.
Employees stated they noticed Lucas had his jacket zipped all the way up and it looked like it was full. The store then called 911, but when Lucas a manager on the phone and he unzipped his jacket and six packs of pork chops, valued at $46.45, fell out onto the floor out of his coat.
Police then spoke to Lucas, who denied doing anything.
The incident was not caught on video, but police found probable cause for Lucas’ arrest. Lucas was also determined to have had multiple recent shoplifting convictions – enough to make this incident a felony.
As a result, Lucas, age 56, was arrested and transported to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office where he was booked into the jail charged with Felony Theft by Shoplifting – Four or More Convictions and Probation Violation.
Lucas is currently being held at the Troup County Jail where he was denied bond.
• Wednesday evening about 5 p.m., police were at the LaGrange City on Hill Street, when officers were approached by a City of LaGrange Sanitation Supervisor.
The supervisor requested that officers assist with administering a breath test on an employee that they believe had been drinking on the job. The supervisor stated this was due to the employee having been seen driving a city vehicle on New Franklin Road near Bob Williams Drive, and observed to be drinking what appeared to be a Bud Light beer.
Police then made contact with the employee who consented to the breath test, which tested positive for alcohol.
Based on this and several other unreleased factors, the employee, Eric William Meyer, age 43, was arrested for Driving Under the Influence of Alcohol.
• Sunday morning about 8:28 a.m., LaGrange Police responded to the 800 block of South Ogletree Street in reference to Criminal Damage to Property.
Officers arrived and made contact with the complainant, who stated he parked his Ford Ranger pickup truck in the driveway of his home last date around midnight. He stated that when he came out in the morning he discovered that someone had keyed both sides of his truck and had flattened all of the tires.
The victim stated the suspect(s) also took his Dewalt impact drill and a meter, valued at $100, from the bed of his truck.
The victim also advised he has not had any recent disagreements with anyone or knew of anyone who would have wanted to damage his truck.
This incident is still under investigation.
• West Point Police responded to an incident of Aggravated Assault which was reported on Pine Street.
• West Point Police responded to an incident of Simple Assault was reported on East 12th Street.
• West Point Police took a report for Simple Battery which was reported on Avenue M.
• Delreco Montae Murphy, of West Point, was arrested by West Point Police on a Failure to Appear warrant from Harris County.