Grilled Chicken Mozzarello and Pesto
• 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 12 ounces each)
• 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
• 1/2 teaspoon fennel seed, lightly crushed with a knife
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• Kosher salt
• 4 soft hoagie rolls, split
• Four 1/4-inch-thick slices mozzarella
• 1 large tomato, sliced
• 1/2 cup prepared pesto Directions Prepare a grill for medium-high heat.
Halve the chicken breasts crosswise and pound each piece between two sheets of plastic wrap to an even thickness of about 3/4 inch. Toss the chicken pieces with the crushed red pepper, fennel seed, 1 tablespoon of the oil and 3/4 teaspoon salt in a medium bowl. Brush the insides of the rolls with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil.
Grill the chicken, turning once, until just cooked through, 8 to 9 minutes per side.
During the last few minutes of cooking time, top each piece of chicken with a slice of mozzarella. Grill the rolls, oiled side down, until warmed and lightly charred, about 1 minute.
Spread some pesto on the bottom halves of the rolls. Top with a slice of tomato, a piece of chicken, the remaining pesto and the top halves of the rolls.