Posted on

House Bill H.R. 5717

There have been many questions regarding House Bill H.R. 5717, otherwise known as the Gun Violence Prevention and Community Safety Act of 2020. According to congress. gov, the bill involves changes to the federal framework governing the sale, transfer, and possession of firearms and ammunition. The following is a list of some of the bill’s main provisions:

•Generally requires individuals to obtain a license to purchase, acquire, or possess a firearm or ammunition;

•Raises the minimum age—from 18 years to 21 years—to purchase firearms and ammunition;

•Establishes new background check requirements for firearm transfers between private parties;

•Requires law enforcement agencies to be notified following a firearms-related background check that results in a denial;

•Creates a statutory process for a family or household member to petition a court for an extreme risk protection order to remove firearms from an individual who poses a risk of committing violence; •Restricts the import, sale, manufacture, transfer, or possession of semiautomatic assault weapons and large capacity ammunition feeding devices;

•Restricts the manufacture, sale, transfer, purchase, or receipt of ghost guns (i.e., guns without serial numbers);

•Makes trafficking in firearms a stand-alone criminal offense;

•Requires federally licensed gun dealers to submit and annually certify compliance with a security plan to detect and deter firearm theft;

•Removes limitations on the civil liability of gun manufacturers;

•Allows the Consumer Product Safety Commission to issue safety standards for firearms and firearm components;

•Establishes a community violence intervention grant program; and

•Promotes research on firearm safety and gun violence prevention.

The bill further proposes a tax rate of 30 percent on pistols, revolvers, and other firearms, as well as a tax rate of 50 percent on shells and cartridges. 39 percent of the money collected from these taxes is to be put toward research on programs for gun violence prevention. The legislation does not specify where the other 61 percent of collected revenue would go. Currently, the tax rate is approximately 10 percent, with the revenue generated from these taxes being used for purposes such as wildlife preservation and hunter safety and education.

House Bill H.R. 5717 was introduced in January, with Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren introducing a companion bill called S.3254 later in February. These bills would require gun-age citizens to acquire a federal license before purchasing guns or ammunition. This regulation would apply even to individuals who already own guns.

For more in-depth information on the proposed legislation, visit congress. gov to read the bills and their proposed changes in full.

The author of this article can be reached via email at [email protected] net.

 

LATEST NEWS